MALIBU, Calif. — Arkansas women’s tennis team (2-1) fell to No. 6 Pepperdine on Sunday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center, 1-4 in the ITA Kickoff.
Martina Zerulo and Jackie Carr changed the momentum for the Hogs in doubles action after the Waves took the first match.
Zerulo and Carr jumped out to an early lead before holding on for a 6-3 win over Anatasia Iamachkin and Astrid Olsen to even doubles at 1-1.
The doubles point came down to Arkansas’ No. 34 ranked duo of Lauren Alter and Tatum Rice against Ashley Lahey and Jessica Failla in the No. 1 spot.
Alter and Rice trailed 3-1 midway through the set but had a phenomenal response, rallying for a 6-4 win to claim the doubles point for the Razorbacks.
Thea Rice and Laura Rijkers were the lone Arkansas pair to drop a match, taking a 6-2 loss against Daria Kuczer and Lisa Zaar.
In singles, Arkansas fell on four courts leaving two matches unfinished. Tatum Rice was defeated by No. 1 Lahey on court one 6-3, 6-2.
Pepperdine’s Olsen beat Alter in two sets 6-2, 6-0 and Carr was defeated on court three by No. 62 Iamachkine, 6-3, 6-2.
Laura Rijkers put up a fight in a 7-5 first-set loss before falling 6-1 in the second set on court six to No. 90 Kuczer to end the match.
The Razorbacks will be back on the court facing rival Oklahoma State on Friday, Jan. 31 in Stillwater, Okla.
1. No. 1 Lahey, Ashley (PEPPW) def. Tatum Rice (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 50 Failla, Jessica (PEPPW) vs. No. 122 Martina Zerulo (ARK) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
3. No. 62 Iamachkine,Anastasia (PEPPW) def. No. 109 Jackie Carr (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
4. Olsen, Astrid (PEPPW) def. Lauren Alter (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
5. Zaar, Lisa (PEPPW) vs. Kelly Keller (ARK) 6-1, 5-4, unfinished
6. No. 90 Kuczer, Daria (PEPPW) def. Laura Rijkers (ARK) 7-5, 6-1
1. No. 34 Tatum Rice/Lauren Alter (ARK) def. Lahey, Ashley/Failla, Jessica (PEPPW) 6-4
2. Martina Zerulo/Jackie Carr (ARK) def. Iamachkine,Anastasia/Olsen, Astrid (PEPPW) 6-3
3. Kuczer, Daria/Zaar, Lisa (PEPPW) def. Thea Rice/Laura Rijkers (ARK) 6-2
Arkansas Razorbacks 2-0
PEPP 1-0; National ranking No. 6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,3,6)
Information from Razorback Sports Communications is included in this story.