After several years of coaching staffs apparently interested in watching some of the best players in Arkansas go elsewhere, Sam Pittman told us he wanted to keep ’em home and that’s what he’s doing.
Shiloh Christian wide receiver Beau Cason (6-5, 190) chose to walk-on with the Razorbacks on Thursday, announcing it via Twitter:
— Beau Cason (@Beau_Cason) May 14, 2020
Pittman told us he wanted to focus more on getting a lot of in-state walk-ons and Cason is the 12th from inside the state to go with a couple from surrounding states.
“We have an opportunity with our university with how we can get kids in that Arkansas needs to go heavy on preferred walk-ons and walk-ons in their program,” Pittman told us earlier.”
It’s why he has all 10 assistant coaches recruiting within the state. Yes, it pays dividends in various areas.
“If you do that, there’s a lot of good things that can come out of that, but one of them is I think your walk-on program is going to be much better,” Pittman said. “The relationships with the high school coaches are going to be better, relationship with the state of Arkansas is going to be better.”
Here are the walk-ons committed to the Hogs right now:
• Braden Bratcher, QB, Little Rock Pulaski Academy
• Donte Buckner, RB, White Hall
• Chris Harris, ATH, Dumas
• Kevin Compton, ATH, Watson Chapel
• Truitt Tollett, WR, Springdale Shiloh Christian
• Beau Cason, WR, Springdale Shiloh Christian
• Jonas Higson, TE, Bentonville West
• Brooks Both, LB, Harrison
• Caleb Fields, LB, Fayetteville
• Chandler McIntosh, LB, Little Rock Joe T. Robinson
• Jackson Woodard, LB, Little Rock Christian
• Rhett Thurman, K, Cabot
• Vito Calvaruso, K, Jefferson City (Mo.) Helias Catholic
• Eli Chism, LS, Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist