Moses Moody had a game-high 24 points and a game-high nine rebounds to lead Arkansas to a 72-60 victory over Texas-Arlington on Wednesday night at Bud Walton Arena.
Arkansas improved to 3-0 while the Mavericks fell to 1-3.
The game was close most of the first half, but the Razorbacks were able to pull away late to lead by 11 (44-33) at the break.
A 17-7 Razorback run to start the second half — thanks to six points from Moody and four from Justin Smith — gave Arkansas an 18-point cushion and UT-Arlington never threatened the rest of the way.
Arkansas shot the ball well in the first half (46.9% overall and 42.9% from 3-point range) but was just 10-of-30 from the field, including 1-of-7 from beyond the arc, in the second half.
Jalen Tate (14), Connor Vanover (12) and Justin Smith (11) also reached double figures in points. Smith added nine rebounds and Tate had six with four assists. Vanover’s 12 points came in just 12 minutes of play.
Shahada Wells paced UTA with 17 points — 16 coming in the second half — and Fredelin De La Cruz added 11. points
Arkansas will return to Bud Walton Arena on Saturday (Dec. 5) to host Lipscomb. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. and will be telecast on the SEC Network Plus.
FIRST HALF: Arkansas 44 – UTA 33
• The first half was close throughout.
• UTA led 9-8 at the first media timeout, Arkansas led 19-16 at the second media timeout and led 29-21 at the third. The Razorbacks did use a brief 6-0 run to go up 13 (41-29) with 2:3 1left.
• Moses Moody led all scorers with 12 points. He added four rebounds as well.
• Connor Vanover was 2-of-2 from 3-point range and scored eight points.
• Justin Tate had four assists.
• Sam Griffin led UTA with eight points off the bench.
• Arkansas shot 46.9% from the field, including 42.9% from 3-point range.
• Arkansas out-rebounded the Mavericks 23-15.
SECOND HALF: Arkansas 28 – UTA 27
• Arkansas opened the second half with a 17-7 run to lead by 18 (61-43) with 11:39 left. Moses Moody scored six in the spurt and Justin Smith four.
• Moody had 12 second-half points and Tate scored seven.
• Shahada Wells scored 16 second-half points, making 6-of-7 from the field and 3-of-3 from 3-point range.
Jalen Tate with the jab step three.
• Arkansas’ starting lineup was Jalen Tate (G) – Desi Sills (G) – Moses Moody (G) – Justin Smith (F) – Connor Vanover (F) for the second straight game.
• Arkansas won the tip and is 3-0 this year when winning the tip.
• For the third straight game, Justin Smith scored the first points of the game, a put-back on his own miss at 19:48.
• Vance Jackson was the first sub for Arkansas.
• Arkansas entered the game only taking one charge in the first two games. The Razorbacks took three versus UTA. Jaylin Williams took two in the first half.
• Jalen Tate needs 22 points for 1,000 for his career, needs 43 rebounds for 400 and five assists for 300.
• Desi Sills tied a career high with four steals. He also had four versus Auburn last season. He entered the game with four for the season.
• Moses Moody missed his first free throw attempt Wednesday to snap a streak of 15 straight makes. He was 8-of-10 at the line versus the Mavericks and is 23-of-26 for the season.
• Moses Moody and Justin Smith are the only Razorbacks to score in double figures all three games this season.
Information from Arkansas Communications is included in this story.